Monsoon,Musings and Mumbaikar

People of Mumbai are divided by many things, but there is one thing that unites us – Rain. It has been a long sticky summer and as the people of Mumbai await the clouds to group together and transform into beautiful little droplets that pitter- patter against our window slides, and set us into a state of euphoria , I can't help but wonder how we Mumbaikars have a love hate relationship with this beautiful season. On one hand, we cant wait to breathe in the sweet scent of the soil after the first shower hits us, giving us relief from all the heat, all the sweat. And on the other hand, we cant stop thinking about how we'll have to worry about the roads being water logged, train delays, potholes etc.

                                                        image source
Personally, I love rain. More so, when I don't have to step out of the house. I love admiring nature doing its job and making the trees and birds dance to its tune (even humans for that matter). It also makes me nostalgic and sends me back to my college days. Bunking lectures and going to Marine drive. Oh, the beautiful, mesmerizing Marine drive! The sound of waves crashing against huge rocks. The sky overcast by clouds sharing its bounty with us. It's almost hypnotizing.

Monsoon is also the time when all Mumbaikars crave for one thing the most -Vadapav. Well, there is not a time of the year when we don't crave it. But there is something about rains that makes it almost mandatory to eat it. Now, if you are a true Mumbaikar like me, born and brought up in this beautiful city, you'll know what I'm talking about. I can almost see you nod in agreement. And it tastes even better when it has hot cup of tea for company. A match made in heaven. 

When its dark and cold and wet outside and you're warm and cozy inside your house, with a good book to read and a cup of tea or two. Such are the simple pleasures of life that make me forget about everything else that is not right. Make me forget about the train delays, the chaos, the traffic jams.There was a time when people used to run out of their houses to enjoy the first showers, but now we run to our phones and computers to update our statuses to “It's raining.”I see the kids from my window, enjoying in the rain, jumping in muddy puddles. How have we forgotten to enjoy the smaller things in life. To take a step back from this fast paced life and let things happen. Lets hope for Unicorns and rainbows riding us to a far away land, making our troubles disappear as the rain washes the city anew.


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Success?

Why Indian news channels need a breath of fresh air

A childhood before technology took over