English is a funny language!

One of the most famous dialogues of Bollywood that will always be fresh in our minds - "I can talk English, I can walk English, I can laugh English because English is a funny language" and indeed funny it is. I think its the only language in the world where you can have noses that can run and feet that can smell. When we transport something by a car, it's called a "SHIPment" and when you transport something by a ship, it's called a "CARgo". And why does Psychology start with a 'P' and mojito have a 'j' in it?  Confusing, right?

Once at a birthday party  I was asked,

"Are you sure you don't want another piece of cake?"

Now, how was I supposed to answer this question?  Yes ,I don't want or No, I don't want. And what if I really did want to eat another piece of cake? Phew!

Let's talk about relations; In India every person you are related to has a unique name, you are  someone's fufaji, buaji, chachaji, mamaji etc. However, in English they are so ambiguous. For example- My husband's sister is my sister-in-law, but my husband's brother's wife is also my sister-in-law. And if you are an Indian, everyone older to you is either an uncle or an auntie.


Punctuations make the language even more complicated. You'll have an idea if  you've ever come across the sentence 'A woman without her man is nothing'. A single comma can change the meaning of the whole sentence. 

Some may punctuate it  this way (you know who you are) - A woman, without her man, is nothing. 
Others may punctuate it differently (you know who you are) - A woman, without her, man is nothing.

Hilarious, isn't it?


There is not an iota of doubt  that English is one of the most amazing languages in the world and it makes me proud that India is the second largest English speaking country in the world. This language is simple yet complicated and that is what makes it even more beautiful. It's a language where I can use two words of completely opposite meanings and still make a lot of sense and I think that is one of the best things about it. Do you have any such examples that make English a funny language?  Please share in the comments below.


x

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What is Success?

Why Indian news channels need a breath of fresh air

A childhood before technology took over